Welcome!

Welcome!

This blog addresses various emotional aspects of experiencing infertility. It is written by a clinical psychologist who specializes in infertility counseling. Thank you for reading, and best of luck with your journey!

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Top tips for surviving infertility treatment, day six--forgive yourself!

Today I've had the kind of day that has emphasized the need for self-forgiveness.   I suppose that each life has some sort of quota for days like these (at least I hope so, anyway).  However, a silver lining of today was that it reminded me of how important self-forgiveness is when you are going through infertility treatment.  Because trust me, no matter how hard you try, mistakes are going to happen.  You might snap at someone, or hurt someone's feelings.  Perhaps you have regrets about doing a cycle of treatment at a certain clinic, or not trying another avenue of treatment.  The list of potential mistakes, is, at least in my case, endless.

It's important to remember that infertility treatment is like anything else in life--there is a learning curve. It takes a while to get all the information and to get up to speed on the medical challenges you are facing.  And it takes even longer to learn how to function with all of the stress that you inevitably find yourself facing.  Therefore, it is imperative that you try to forgive yourself for whatever errors you think you might have made.  No one does the "infertility thing" perfectly.  There is no preparation for this phase of your life.   I'm sure you are trying hard, and doing the best you can with things.  After all, that's the most we can ever ask of ourselves.

I hope you had a better day than I did, and that you don't need to forgive yourself quite so much today as I do! In any event, I'll be back tomorrow, hopefully in a better mood, and with another tip for surviving your infertility treatment!  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment